Chicken Shawarma with Yogurt and Garlic Sauce
I found this recipe in the Men’s Fitness Magazine that I bought at the airport the other day. I decided to make it for dinner tonight. Even though I couldn’t find all of the ingredients, I still made it work and it tasted really good.
Ingredients (for the chicken)
3 tbsp Lemon Juice
Pinch of Salt
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Ground All Spice
1 tbsp Ground Coriander
3 tbsp chopped fresh Cilantro Leaves
2 1/2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
6 White Flatbreads
2 Large Handfuls Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
- Preheat your skillet to about medium high heat.
- Combine the lemon juice, salt, oil, spices and cilantro in a large bowl, stir until it’s all mixed together.
- Add the chicken and toss it to coat.
- Place the coated pieces in the skillet (uncovered) and cook the chicken until it is done, approximately 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- When the chicken is done, cut it into small bite size pieces.
While the chicken is cooking you can make the Yogurt Garlic Sauce. You will need a blender in order to do this.
Ingredients (for the Sauce)
8 cloves of Garlic (or 4 tsp of chopped garlic)
2 tsp of Salt
3 tbsp of Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Sunflower Oil (This is hard to find)
3/4 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup plain Yogurt (I got the plain Greek Yogurt)
2 tsp Sumac (a lemony spice used in Middle Eastern cooking, also hard to find)
- Combine the garlic, salt, and lemon juice in a blender. Mix until smooth.
- While the blender is running, slowly add the oils in a thin stream starting with the olive oil.
- Continue until the mix thickens. Warning: This will be messy. As you add the oils, it will start to splash.
- Fold the yogurt and sumac in a bowl.
After that is done make the Tomato Parsley Salad.
Ingredients (for the Salad)
3 handfuls fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
1 vine ripened tomato, chopped
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced.
- Simply take all of the above ingredients after you have chopped them up and place them in a bowl and toss until they are all mixed together.
- Now that the chicken is done and you have all of your ingredients mixed and ready, heat a clean skillet up on medium high heat. Take your flatbread and throw it on the skillet for about 5 to 10 seconds for each side. You just want to warm it up a little.
- Take your warm flatbread and spread the garlic yogurt across the flatbread, place some shredded lettuce on top of that and spoon a little of the tomato parsley mix on top of that. Then scoop up some of that chicken and place it on top of the whole mess. If you’re wanting a little more tang, drizzle a little more garlic yogurt on top of the chicken. Roll it up, slice it in half and enjoy.
- I like to buy items in bulk. Things like Lemon Juice and Chicken I get from my local wholesale store. I get the chicken in 10lb bags. Break that bag into several smaller freezer bags. Put 4 to 6 pieces in each bag. This will make it easier when you go to thaw them out.
Just grab a bag and throw it in a sink full of cold water. In about 20 minutes it should be thawed.
- If you have trouble folding the yogurt into the garlic mix, do what I did. I busted out a whisk and just whisked it together.
It wont be as fluffy as the folded version, but it still tastes great.
- When you mix the oils in the blender, either use a blender that has a hole in the top for pouring ingredients in (this minimizes the mess) or carefully lift one side and pour the oils down the side.
- If your grocery store has a salad bar, you can get the tomatoes and onions already chopped there. This will save a lot of time and mess by doing this.
- You may need to go to a specialty store in order to get the Sunflower oil and Sumac. If you can’t find this at all, just add about 1/4 cup more olive oil and whisk the mix together. If you cant find the Sumac, use lemon powder or some sort of lemony seasoning.
This entry was posted on Sunday, August 7th, 2011 at 5:40 pm and is filed under Chicken, Wraps. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Comments are closed.
Bad Behavior has blocked 143 access attempts in the last 7 days.